Spiraling Toward Irrelevancy

Never has a blog title spoken quicker to the absolute truth than "Spiraling Toward Irrelevancy" ...

1.31.2006

Leonard Steinhorn Responds to "The Greater Generation?"

Mr. Wise,

How you can call anyone a "nitwit" when you discuss a book without reading it is beyond me. You probably don't care much for psychology, but perhaps you should become familiar with what psychologists call "projection."

Sorry you're so full of anger and hate. I may disagree with you, but I feel sorry for you. Your echo chamber would be fascinating were it not so frightening.

Regards,

Leonard Steinhorn



----- Original Message -----
From:
Brian S. Wise
To: Lenny Steinhorn (Address deleted by TGO)
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: from Leonard Steinhorn


Thanks for reading. It's always nice when people more important than I am take the time to read the column.

Of course, one can say "nitwit" and not mean it hatefully - not that much of anyone recognizes the difference anymore. The line between casual insult and vitriolic screed is so thin as to not exist (another Boomer legacy). I've called Michael Savage a cook (which, of course, he is) and referred to Strom Thurmond as That Old Confederate (under the impression that if he'd been alive during the Civil War, he'd have picked the wrong side) with nary an objection ... this is an equal opportunity shop.

Not that it will matter, but I can assure you hatred wasn't involved anywhere in the writing process. Hatred - the sort of pure, blind rage you're assuming swarms deep within me - is for religious zealots and eight-year-olds. Being agnostic and distinctly not an eight-year-old, I'm hoping you'll allow the difference between dissent and venom.

On the other hand, what do you care what an Internet columnist thinks, anyway?

Still, I hope you continue reading. If I'm ever out that way, I'll buy you lunch. And I promise: If you're not a nitwit, I'll say so publicly.

Best;

Brian S. Wise

p.s. I'm considering "I feel sorry for you" a quotable blurb.