Spiraling Toward Irrelevancy

Never has a blog title spoken quicker to the absolute truth than "Spiraling Toward Irrelevancy" ...

6.01.2006

Update / Q and A

Question: So, what have you doing since you kind of retired from writing?
Answer: A tremendous amount of reading. Stumbled across a deal where the first four weeks of a subscription to The Wall Street Journal were free, and keeping up with a daily paper has turned out to be more of a task for me than I thought it would, due mostly to the fact I’m not always in the mood to read a paper. Aside from that, I’m practically camping out at a few different libraries and ripping through a few books a week. Here and there, I have continued researching Mr. Lincoln.

Question: What books have you read lately?
Answer: Currently reading: “Misinformation” by Richard Minter.
Awaiting my attention: “You Got Screwed!” and “Real Money: Sane Investing in An Insane World” by Jim Cramer.
Have requested from library (via inter-library loan): “On the Other Hand” by Fay Wray.
Have recently read: “Moneyball” by Michael Lewis.
“Game of Shadows” by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.
Some book about the history of “King Kong,” by an author whose name I cannot recall.
“The Greater Generation” by Leonard Steinhorn.
“Freakonomics” by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dunbar.
And others.

Question: Do you miss writing?
Answer: No.

Question: What has been the reaction to your not writing?
Answer: The general consensus is that I’m not serious about it, nicely summed up by my former editor, who called and said I’d be writing again soon because it’s what I was meant to do. This line of thought ignores the fact I have promised to complete the Lincoln book, which will involve a tremendous amount of writing, unless I’ve forgotten the process.

Question: How goes the Lincoln book?
Answer: Well, when I stopped writing columns I laid off researching for a bit, but I’m slowly working my way back into it now. Research is an exhausting process for me.

Question: Any luck finding a literary agent or publisher?
Answer: I haven’t attempted either, yet.

Question: What happened to all your websites?
Answer: Per my original statement, I closed the “Lincoln’s Tomb” website and the blog that accompanied it. As for BrianWise.com, well, I forgot to renew the hosting and will get around to it sometime soon.

Question: But what if I wanted a copy of your book, The Unabrian Manifesto?
Answer: You’d have one by now if you wanted one. But if you want one, email me at brianswise@yahoo.com and I’ll send you one.

Question: How’s it going with the ladies?
Answer: I’m not speaking to any females right now.